Working with Live Database
Connecting to live database from development environment
2 - If it is necessary to debug live database then ask for the live back up to be restored on staging database server
3 - If it is necessary to work directly to live database from developer environment then follow below precautions
If connecting to live database from developer environment then following things need to be considered
* If connecting through code
- Make sure all the scheduler are commented out/turned off
- Make sure all the external service push or pull is commented our/turned off
- Never update live database from developer environment - Fix the code and push it to live server and re run it.
* If connecting through Sql server from developer environment
- Always wraps command in BEGIN TRAN command see example below and comment out the COMMIT TRAN section so nothing applies to live server mistakenly
BEGIN TRAN update aa set City='chennai',LastName='vinoth'; -- if update is what you want then -- COMMIT TRAN -- if NOT then ROLLBACK
- It's VERY IMPORTANT to remember to either COMMIT or ROLLBACK; This wouldn't be a good time to go to lunch while forgetting the transaction open! :-) Open Transaction would lock the database.
- If Update is necessary then always ask I.T guy to do backup
- If it is small task then make sure you run the select command first to make sure it will affect only required table and row for .eg
SELECT Column1 , Column2 -- UPDATE t SET Column1 = x, Column2 = y FROM MyTable AS t WHERE ...
* Always do the peer review before running any script or code on live databsae